Monday, February 25, 2008

I must apologize


The other day my 2 year old and I were watching Noggin, which sadly if I were to admit how much we actually watch, the state would come and remove my child from the home...but their catch phrase is "Noggin. It's like preschool on tv." So really what I'm doing is giving my child quite the head start without giving her all the colds, and flu, and other nasties that go along with being in small rooms with lots of small children. So I am really mother of the year! Bring on my awards!!!

Wait, there was a point to admitting this...oh yeah! ! Lisa Loeb!

Do you know Lisa Loeb? She had a pretty big hit with a song called "Stay" back in the mid 90's. I liked her a lot. Saw her play at the "old" 9:30 club in DC...the 9:30 club should and will be the subject of another very long and informative post, just not tonight. Stay tuned :)

Back to Lisa Loeb. Seems she's doing music for kids now. And it's really good. She has a beautiful voice and Isabel seems to like her music. Whenever she comes on now Isabel points and says, "maMA! maMA!". At first I thought she was just showing her approval for Lisa's songs, but now I think she either thinks that's me on tv singing, which is just hilarious for so many reasons, or she just sees a resemblance.

We do both wear very hip glasses.

What this did though is remind me of a time, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 90's, when I was single and going out a LOT with my good good friend Andrea, to bars, and clubs, and parties, and pretty much anywhere there was alcohol that most likely we would not have to pay for. And one of the things I remember clearly is desperately wanting to meet guys, but being unbelieveably mean to any guy that actually dared to talk to me. One night we were in a now long defunct club to hear my roommate dj, and some poor boy stopped me as I was walking by to tell me that I looked like Lisa Loeb. In his defence I did have long hair, glasses, and was most likely wearing some kind of babydoll dress get-up (with combat boots I'll bet!!) that Lisa did seem to favor back then. In a dark, smoky club, after a few beers, maybe I did look like her. Should I have said thanks since clearly this was a compliment? Probably. But of course that is absolutely the farthest thing from what I did.

I laughed.

Right in his face. And then, since Andrea is pretty close to being deaf, I'm sure I turned to her and SHOUTED, "HE SAID I LOOK LIKE LISA LOEB" and again, I'm pretty sure we both dissolved into hysterical laughter and flounced out.

I'm sorry. Really.

So now when Isabel points to her and says, "maMA!" she gets a great big smooch from me.

No comments: